Surgery day/night

I had expected that we needed to spend only 1-1.5 hours at PAH to get my mum checked into the ward, in preparation for the surgery the next day but we ended spending about 3 hours there, where we were asked to bring her to:

  1. Get blood test done.
  2. Do stress ECG.
  3. Get X-ray done
  4. Consult Dr Tan Chun Ee about the results of the above.

Both my mum and I had expected that the staff at the ward would arrange all these after mum checked in.

So we ended having lunch at PAH before checking in at Wayton Express (I might blog about this no-frill room stay).

Doctor said surgery was scheduled at 1pm but of course subject to availability of the operating theatre (OT). As at 12.45pm, mum was still not warded (we were asked to wait in the Waiting Lounge). Ban and I proceeded to check into Wayton Express while nurse takes care of mum.

Visiting hours at PAH are restricted to only 12pm - 2pm and 6pm-8pm i.e. during normal lunch and dinner time. Contrast that with SJMC's 10am - 8pm. I wonder why.

So we dropped by the ward just after 6pm and was told that mum was brought to OT at about 4.30pm. Nurse offered to call me once she was out and that I could tell the guard that I visit my mum who just had surgey but only one visitor is allowed.

We had dinner and shopped for some grocery at Gurney Plaza. After 9pm, I couldn't wait any longer and so decided to drop by the ward again but she still wasn't back to ward at 9.50pm. At 10pm, I requested from a nurse to call me, no matter how late, once mum was back at the ward. Fortunately, this particular nurse just came from the OT area and said that she saw Dr Tan exited the surgical room. She agreed with my assessment that since neither my sister nor I received calls from the surgical team, the surgery must had been ok.

Finally, I received call from nurse at 12.15am that mum was ok and that the surgery went smoothly. Phew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant