Nursing home & PCU

Dad changed his mind a few times about staying at nursing home but always relented each time I reminded him the reasons we put forth for him to recuperate there.

However that didn't stop him fron nitpicking when my sister brought him to Jasper Lodge. Geram! The final straw for me, when I was speaking with him on the phone, was about food. I reprimanded him for sweating over the small stuff and that he had to think of the important ones: the reasons why he was there. He hadn't even been there for 24 hours, for goodness sake. It was obviously he already made up his mind that he didn't want to even try and so spewing out negative comments.

It didn't help that the pain in his leg flared up when the staff there tried to lift his legs onto the bed (he was already sitting on the bed. "This is a bad sign." *Groan*. Upon my sister's suggestion, they brought up a lazy chair, newer and sturdier than the one at home, and that worked for him. Phew.

Dad: I try for 2 days.
Me: You have to try with open mind. Don't already made up your mind that in 2 days time you'll ask us to get you out. That's a waste of time for everyone.
Dad: *silent*

Everyone i.e. my sister, CW, nursing home's staff, his siblings (later on) and I tried our best to make sure he was as comfortable as possible and/or persuade him to try for a while. After staying a night, it appeared that he no longer wanted to get out in a couple of days and instead hope to recover sufficiently in a week's time. Since there's a minimum half-month fee payment, we (even his siblings separately thought and did the same) encouraged him to make full use of the facilities there so as to aid his full recovery.

He had shortness of breath for sometime after discharged from Adventist Hospital. I surmised that it was mainly due to physical exertion (later, the main nurse of the nursing home concluded the same) but we all was concerned. I informed the hospice nurse who then checked my dad and said his lungs were ok. The same conclusion from the nursing home's visiting doctor, who happened to be Penang GH's oncologist: she and my dad recognised each other.

However, when consulting the PCU doctor during appointment, he didn't even check and was contented with dad being ok at that time @@. This was the same senior doctor who raised his voice previously. Still, I appreciated him taking a little time to ask my dad about what he thought of the nursing home. "Boring." "Uncle, then you gotta find something to do. Move about. Ask friends or family to help you move."

Unbeknown to me, the nursing home had been giving dad all medication and the PCU doctor maintained them. I guess the good news was that the next appointment was 6 weeks later, which usually meant that doctor had deemed dad's pain management to be ok for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant