CPF closure

As planned, on 16th Jan I started looking at how to close my CPF account

By default, there are two ways of closing the account:
(1) In person at CPF Service Centre, with relevant documents, or
(2) Mail the completed account closure form to CPF Board, with copies of relevant documents certified true copy by Singapore High Commissioner. The signing of the form also needs to be witnessed by the commissioner.

There is, however, a third way that is open only to Malaysians: complete and submit an online form but with the restriction that the CPF money will be given only in the form of a cheque i.e. there's no option for it to be transferred to a designated bank account.

I chose the third way but a week later on 23rd Jan, I received an email from CPF board to submit supporting documents via method (1) or (2). So essentially, I wasted my time doing the third way! Much later, upon query, the CPF officer attending to me at the service centre told me that the third way is only for Malaysians with CPF account balance less than SGD 20k but that's no where stated in the form! Grrr.

What's worse was that the earliest appointment with Singapore High Commissioner for this particular purpose is in Oct 2024! That will leave my CPF money earning pittance (similar to "commercial bank interest rates") for too long. So method (2) is out.

As for method (1), I first have to book online an appointment with a particular CPF Service Centre (as instructed by the email). In short, there were no dates available in Jan or Feb for hours until I checked again just before dinner and suddenly 24th Jan (the next day!) had appointment slots available. I quickly grabbed the 9.45am and then purchased a 6.40 am flight on Firefly (about RM 1,300!) from Subang airport to Seletar airport in Singapore.

Yes, it was a one-day trip. I'm grateful that I needed to spend only about 20 minutes (including waiting time) at the centre to get everything done. Later, I met an ex-colleague for lunch before flying back to Subang airport. Encountered a strange Grab driver at the airport: he indicated that he was at the pick-up location although clearly he wasn't. He didn't respond to my message or pick up my call. I cancelled that ride and got another one. Fortunately, after I complained to Grab, they refunded me the cancellation fee without fuss and with much apology. They also gave that errant driver a strike.

Now I have to wait up to 5 months for the money to be deposited into my bank account. Yes, 5 months omg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant