The PR issue

Since our plan to move to Singapore was scuttled, I had been waiting for an official notification from Singapore informing me of the revocation of my PR due to the expiry of my REP. Yet, throughout much of 2017, there was no such notification.

However, later on, other entities made a move (goodness how they know): 
  • Income terminated my Dependent Protection Scheme
  • My SingPass was cancelled
In both cases, their CSOs said (indirectly by the latter) that I was no longer a PR. 

Yet, I still have nothing official. Actually, this matters only when I close my CPF account in the future: I will need to show CPF Board a letter from ICA stating that I'm no longer a PR. However, I felt uneasy that my residency status with insurance companies and banks was still Singapore PR and hence I proceeded to make things 'right'. I also needed to change my address with CPF Board.

A good opportunity came up when Ban wanted to attend a short workshop in Singapore and I wasn't needed to help my parents with their hospital appointments during those few days. So we went on a 3-night trip, from Wednesday to Sunday.

I planned, with some buffer, to have everything done by Saturday. By the power of technology (thank you, Singapore), I made e-appointments with ICA and CPF Board on Friday in the morning and evening respectively and hope to go to as many banks as possible in between. As for insurance companies, fortunately I just needed to send in completed forms and so I had planed to get stamps to post those forms on Saturday.

Unlike their MRT trains, Singapore's government-linked entities still display their hallmarked efficiency. That goes for their banks too. I did all the important official stuff on Friday! 

My only complaint was Citibank: unlike DBS and OCBC, they refused to accept my Malaysian IC as replacement for my Singapore PR IC. They insisted on using my passport. When I pointed out that it expired every 5 years, they said I would need to go back to Singapore to update. They didn't take up my suggestion, said in half-jest, for them to pay my airflight ticket. Also, the updating couldn't be done at Citibank in Malaysia. Argh. The moment I fully redeem my miles points (saving it for an OZ trip), I will cancel this credit card.

In between, I squeezed as much time as possible to meet friends and ex-colleagues during lunch, tea and dinner. I was exhausted most of the time but I was happy though :)

Comments

thompsonboy said…
Oh pls...its bad enough for Singaporean to complain about the MRT,it's worst coming from a Malaysian. we can talk - ours isn't great at all and theirs have been serving their citizen well for a long time
William said…
My colleague needs to update his passport number with Maybank, else the payroll transaction fails.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant