ASUS Zenfone 8 returned

Unfortunately, there was a problem with this phone: at least once a day, after finished charging, it would say, "PIN is required when you restart your device" (I had activated facial recognition) even though I didn't restart the phone before or while charging it.

I vaguely recall that this did happen to my old phone every now and then but not daily! I tried a different outlet for charging but it still occurred. Factory reset didn't work either. I was afraid that there was something wrong with the motherboard, one of the reasons given online.

So I told the Shopee seller about this problem and asked whether I could get a replacement. They offered to check the phone. I was concerned about the timing: I had like about 3 days left of the "15 Days Return" period and so I reiterated by preference for replacement. 

I proceeded with the Return/Refund request via Shopee and said, "It'll be great if I can get a replacement". Understandably they wanted me to attach photos as evidence that the phone is faulty but there was just no way to do that. I couldn't even figure out a systematic way to replicate the incorrect message. I even observed it closely while it was charging to full but nothing happened that time. So I just explained clearly what was the matter and hoped for the best. If they take the time to think about it, it should be clear that my request is genuine.

Fortunately, the return process was quite a breeze: after clicking Return/Request and selecting drop-off at J&T Express, I was given a barcode and a tracking number. At the nearest J&T Express, staff asked me for the tracking number, printed out a receipt for me and that was it. The hardest part was packing the phone as securely as possible: I had already thrown away the outer box earlier @@.

Shopee stated that it would take up to 5 days to validate my request. If rejected, they would send back the phone to me. 5 days after they received the phone, I received this email:

Yay! Gosh, I hope the new unit is ok.

Comments

William said…
That's unlucky! Maybe it was restarting itself after being fully-charged.
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
The thing is that it happened every now and then, not each time.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant