Incompetent taxi driver

Normally if a taxi driver doesn't know how to get to my destination, he would do the following (or a combination):
  • Ask me
  • Call and ask his contacts
  • Look up a street directory
I have no qualms in assisting the taxi driver as much as possible to reach my destination (it is after all in my interest to do so) but the I'm only assisting: the onus is on the taxi driver to get all the relevant information, if he hasn't already gotten it, to enable him to drive me there. Although I generally try to get as much information as possible about how to get to the destination, it should always be the taxi driver's responsibilty; not mine.

Recently, I took a taxi to a client's office and here's what happened:

Me:   10, CBP Central 1.
Taxi:  Ok.

Few seconds later...


Taxi:  Is it after the ABC building?
Me:   Mmmm yes it's near there.

Later, as we were nearing ABC building, I was looking out for the road CBP Central 1 and lo behold it was right after the building on the left. Yet, the taxi driver drove past it and said...

Taxi:  So where? Where?
Me:   I think you just past it. The road is on the left, after ABC building.
Taxi:  No, no. No such road on the left.
Me:   ???
Taxi:  Ok, I turn left at the traffic light and turn left again and you can show me.

Once he did that, he said...

Taxi:  So where? Where? (in a seemingly impatient voice)
Me:   Just drive back to the ABC building.

Once there, it was again...

Taxi:  Where, where?
Me:   See? That's CBP Central 1. Turn left. I don't understand why as a taxi driver, you're asking me to direct you (in a frustrated voice).
Taxi:  I've been driving taxi for a year only (in a rather apologetic voice).
Me:   So? I don't even drive and yet I (have the sense of) always look out for the road signs (and I'm not even Singaporean!).

He was much nicer when collecting the fare. Though I was seething, I did manage to thank him but I refused to give any tips. Usually, if I don't have exact coins and the fare is close to the next dollar, I would round up and let the taxi driver have the difference. All I ask is a normal ride without anything unpleasant. I'm not even expecting good service. But not this time. Ironically, he gave me back 5 cents more lol.

Comments

William said…
Ini dah kira kes kecil when compared to KL taxi drivers. :P
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
They are both bad cases lah, big or small.
Little Dove said…
Maybe the taxi driver is also non-Singaporean? I remember a Bangladeshi cabbie in KL, even giving directions in English or Malay was difficult. Surprisingly, I managed to reach my destination.
Legolas said…
If in Malaysia, you would be killed and dumped into a lake.
MrBunnyBan said…
actually, I agree with will. KL ones are much worse.
Jaded Jeremy said…
Little Dove,
I don't believe looking out for road signs is too much to ask for, isn't it?

Legolas, Ban,
It doesn't mean such attitude is excusable.
Janvier said…
We think his only fault is in asking for further directions too late. If the driver isn't sure of directions (and doesn't own a gps) we would prompt him as we get closer to our destination. :)
Jaded Jeremy said…
Janvier,
But only if you knew how to get there in the first place. What if you don't know? It's still the driver's responsibility, right?

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant