Proverbs & phrases

When I was schooling in Singapore, I remember an incident where my Malay teacher was talking about roverbs. He then said that we can create our own proverbs. Strange it may seem but it never really occured to me until then that this is possible. Somehow I've always thought these proverbs are created by wise and/or clever people.

So back at the hostel, I've told my friends what my teacher said. One of them spontaneously made up one:

Friend: Seperti burger tanpa keju (translation: Just like burger without cheese)
Me: Huh? What does that mean?
Friedn: Sesuatu yang tidak lengkap (translation: Something that is not complete)
Me: *Laughed*

A senior, a non-blood related distant relative, made up a phrase herself: "Do not do today what can be done tomorrow or the next day".

I myself came up with this and I've been using it for years: "Do not judge a banana by its skin". Its meaning is the same as "Do not judge a book by its cover". I thought banana is appropriate because usually the skin darkens even though it is still good to eat.

So anyone has any original proverbs or phrases to share?
Update: Please also tell me what they mean! Thanks.

Comments

William said…
Bagai JJ dengan Taicho...
Little Dove said…
Seperti Suneo dengan Giant.

p/s: inspired by William :p
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
What does it mean? That's the fun part lah i.e. explaining what it means. Is it similar to "Bagai matahari dengan bulan"?

Little Dove,
What does it mean lah?
Little Dove said…
Suneo and Giant are characters from Doraemon. They are good friends and are always together. Both are bullies to Nobita (or Tai Hong).

"Seperti Suneo dengan Giant" is similar to the age old Malay proverb, "Seperti isi dengan kuku." It means a very close relationship or strong bond between two people.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant