Forging the Darksword

Possible spoiler ahead:



I read the book halfway (no spoiler please!). Until then, the characters, atmosphere etc were generally serious. Then came Simkin. It was then only I laughed out loud. One of my favourite passages (so far) is as follows:

"Of course I've talked to Vanya," Simkin said, turning back to Saryon. "His Tubbiness laid his plans out quite clearly before me. 'Simkin', he said, 'I would be grateful, eternally grateful, if you would assist me in this little matter.' 'Bishop, old chap,' I replied, 'I'm yours to command.' He would have hugged me, but there are some things I draw the line at, and being hugged by fat bald men is one."

So far, I enjoy reading the book (a birthday gift from Ban), especially the setting where magic is the norm and technology is viewed to be evil and technologists are reviled - a total opposite to the stories we're usually accustomed to i.e. magic is misunderstood, feared and magicians are hunted.

Comments

MrBunnyBan said…
... I don't remember those parts, actually. :P

The reviling of technology is a pretty silly concept to me (where does practical common sense begin and 'technology' end?), but such things do exist irl, so I guess i shouldn't complain.
Jaded Jeremy said…
Ban,
Do you remember Simkin though?

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant