DVD drive kaput?

One night, Ban and I wanted to watch an episode of "Avatar: The Last Airbender". We usually watch it on my laptop. However, that night the DVD drive was not working i.e. no DVD was detected. I tried a few other DVDs and the result was the same. Using the Device Manager, it was confirmed that the device was working properly.

This happened before. I remember that it was a little out of alignment and needed a little manual adjustment to fix it. We tried that too but still didn't work.

At this point, I gave up and wanted to get it repaired. I went to BML, upon someone's recommendation (albeit for accessories, I think), at Damansara Jaya. The moment the lady there heard that my DVD drive stopped working, she immediately advised me to buy new. She maintained this advice despite the alignment problem I had in the past and also without taking a look at it. Furthermore, she recommended an external DVD reader/writer as it it is, according to her, cheap and hence no reason for me to get the existing internal one repaired.

Tempting though I was to just get over this problem and purchase the external reader/writer (RM169), I decided to not to make such rash decision as I learned in the past it usually turned out not to be in my favour in the end. After some discussion with William, I decided to try another shop.

I was planning to approach Jayacom at Digital Mall but for some reasons, I decided to google "dvd reader is not reading the dvd". That was when I came across this nifty assistance on Microsoft website:

Microsoft Help

I was running this when I came across someone's suggestion in the forum to just clean the lens. Oooooh why didn't I think of that? I already have a DVD lense cleaner at hand. I tried and voila! It worked!

That saved me money, time and effort. Phew. Close one.

PS: "Kaput" is currently an English word, according to Dictionary.com :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant