Penang food in Penang

It had been years since I ate in Penang. In fact, if I discount that one plate of char kuay teow ("CKT") I had few years back when I was in transit, then the last time I had proper multiple food dishes in Penang was nearly a decade ago!

Kimberly St corner coffeeshop

Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the coffeeshop that served this delicious plate of chee cheong fan and aromatic thick coffee. It was a corner shop along Kimberly Street. The chee cheong fan, unlike the ones I had so far in my life, had prawn paste (used in rojak) as well as the normal sweet sauce.

Food and drink were great but what really made my morning was the people working at the shop. They were polite, humble and very helpful. I definitely want to be its regular customer :)


Penang famous CKT

This is the famous CKT that my family, especially my sister, rave about. We were asked whether we could wait for an hour for it @_@. It came after 45 mins. It is expensive, costing RM7.50 for the small plate. The plate above was RM9, I think, and it came with 5 big yummy prawns. Unfortunately, I did not share my family's enthusiasm for it. It was a little salty and oily for my liking. I can name 2 places in PJ/KL that serve better ones. Perhaps it was cooked by the lady's assistant? She has an assistant who doubled as chef as well.

The only variations you can have with your order is size and spicy/non-spicy. If you want to vary anything else (e.g. no beansprout), you will be asked to leave. Really, seriously. In fact, my father overheard the lady telling her worker to get rid of people asking for non-standard CKT.

I will give it a try again next time but hopefully will not need to wait that long.


Penang roti bakar_kukus

This small elongated coffeeshop in an alley is famous for its roti bakar. What I find interesting was that unlike other toasted bread served elsewhere, this one was lightly toasted and it was still soft within. However, I prefer its steam bread, which was even softer. Its half-boiled egg was so-so but it was the first time I had it in a cup, rather than in a saucer.

Total waiting time? Nearly an hour! I wouldn't do that again, especially since it's quite expensive.

Oh, do look at the device they use to toast and steam bread (on the right side of the photo above): at the bottom is where they toast the bread (someone is usually there, I supposed, to make sure it's lightly toasted) and the top half is where they steam bread inside (the other top half is hot water for coffee).


Penang Teochew chendol

What astounds me nowadays is that chendol almost everywhere has rough ice. It's difficult to get smoothly shaven ice chendol. Fortunately, it is not the same case for these Teochew chendol. I still don't know why it's called Teochew chendol and couldn't ascertain its distinctive feature. It had the right texture and taste.

My only complain is its inconsitent QC. In the above photo, the chendol at the top was served first while the bottom one was served later. Vast difference.

Comments

William said…
When it already takes 45 minutes to get your order, any variations would make the process even longer and error prone. Guess that's the logic behind the policy.
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
I agree that could be a likely reason.
Unknown said…
Hi, William, normally good food will need to wait for longer time. based on this picture, seem like the CKT is near the lorong selamat , UMNO building is it?

For me, i seldom goes there to eat as it is expensive. i can get better one in other places.

Wong, BestPenangFood.com
Jaded Jeremy said…
Pow Long Wong,
Sorry, I don't know where it is. Have to ask my sister. Yes, it is expensive - RM7.50 is the cheapest, I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant