Calm before the storm?

Things stabilised for my dad for a while after the last visit to Dr D. He needed to take a little more breakthrough painkiller to manage his leg pain. On top of the 2 doses of brreakthrough oxycodone , he took 2-2.5ml morphine just before bed. My sister informed him that Dr D said he could have 3 doses of the breakthrough oxycodone.

One day, his bloatedness was really bad and his stomach hurt but luckily after he passed motion a second time, he had great relief. His back doesn't ache as long as his bloatedness didn't cause pain. So he chose to monitor first.

Upon further discussion, it appeared that if he pooed a lot and/or let much gas, it provided relief to his bloatedness. Otherwise, the pain was managed by taking paracetamol.

However, one day, he and my sister discovered two hard lumps on one side of his waist. So we made an appointment with Dr D. After some questions and checks, she recommended PET scan. We were fortunate to get a slot the next day (they only do on Thursday) because the deadline to book a slot was on Wed 12pm.

The cost was much higher than that at Beacon Hospital and SJMC. Also, its diet requirement was much more onerous: low carb, low fibre. In fact, it's more like "almost no carb". The other two hospitals' requirements were simple: no food after midnight, if we recall correctly.

Arrived at the hospital just before 8am. So began a series of fortunate incidents:
(1) The radioactive material (FGD) had already arrived (instead of ETA of 8.30am).
(2) Since we had already paid in full the day before, my dad was almost immediately ushered into the centre.
(3) I was informed by the centre's nurse that it would take 4 hours (so about noon) but my dad was discharged at 11am.

He was asked to to go straight home and avoid close contact with anyone, including Dr D. In fact, I was asked to drive around the corner to pick him out as he was forbidden to take the usual route. However, the day before we were told by Dr D that if the results were out quickly, she may be able to discuss with us on the day itself. Hence, my dad volunteered to stay in the car while I went back in to inquire.

Dr D's nurse said that report wasn't ready and so we were given appointment on Monday. However, if by chance it was out the next day, they would call us to let us know the results. I gave her my dad's, sister's and my phone numbers.

Then began another series of fortunate incidents:
(1) I remarked on the strictness of the preparation for PET/CT scan and that it was so much more expensive than SJMC (I mentioned the fee). As expected, the reason given was that FGD is prepared in KL and shipped to Penang. It's the same for all hospitals in Penang and so the fee is similar too.
(2) The matron, who briefed my dad and I on the preparation the day before, happened to be nearby and listened in the conversation. She nodded in agreement with Dr D's nurse and added that it was only RM400, which I refuted by showing her the receipt which showed a RM880 difference.
(3) The matron took the receipt and then told the cashier about this "overpayment".
(4) We would get back the RM480 overpayment via refund to my credit card (which was used to pay the bill).

Comments

Twilight Man said…
Suddenly I felt that we were being overcharged many times by the private hospitals for both my late parents. You are lucky to have this matter corrected.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant