Share investment Apr 18 Part 1

Finally, I was able to sell my condo unit in Singapore after my agent managed to, at last, get a reasonable offer for it. The price definitely didn't match its all-time high but was above my minimum I set for my agent. As per tenancy agreement, the existing tenancy then was transferred to the new owner. Everything was done in early Feb this year. Phew!

So the plan is invest the proceed, over a period of 10 months, into dividend-paying shares and thus making dividends my main source of income. I thought long and hard on how quickly I should invest the proceed: a single lump sum risks doing so at market high; the longer I spread it over a period of time means the more I need to use my capital to pay for my expenses (before dividends are sufficiently enough to cover them) although a large chunk of expenses is now gone (i.e. repayment of home loan).

Incidentally, there's less actuarial work because a client has completely ceased needing the actuary's service. Hence, this makes dividends an even more important source of income. Scary. Oh, my dad's keen on me to invest in a house of newly launched project. I've already set aside some money to do that but I said I won't be actively researching this though.

I've invested in many share counters and so I'll just highlight new shares:

(1) ComfortDelGro
Due to some financial arrangement with my parents, I ended owning this shares. I used to own these but sold them because (I think) its dividend yield was below 5%.

(2) Hongkong Land
Bought this upon recommendation by Motley Fool Singapore. Their investment philosophy aligns with mine i.e. value investing for the long term but I also look out for dividend yield and so that's why I do not invest in every share counter that they recommend.

From the company's website:

"Hongkong Land is a listed leading property investment, management and development group."

"The Group owns and manages more than 850,000 sq. m. of prime office and luxury retail property in key Asian cities, principally in Hong Kong, Singapore and Beijing."

Amazingly, its share price was below its book value per share and I've checked that almost all of its book value comes from properties.

(3) UOB
This was also Motley Fool Singapore's recommendation. Its core business is banking. It also has business in related financial services, general insurance, investment management and venture debt. It operates in many countries but mostly in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.


I've also sold some existing shares:

(1) Boustead Singapore
Honestly, I can't remember why I sold some shares of this counter @@.

(2) Singapore Press Holdings
I'm losing hope that SPH is able to innovate itself to counter the falling revenue from its printed media. This is worrisome because this remains the largest contributor every year. I now have a smallish holding as a "let's see where this goes".

(3) ComfortDelGro
With the advent of Grab and Uber, taxi operators in both Malaysia and Singapore (and probably globally) are under pressure. Unless their regulatory cost decreases or that of their competitors increase, I can't see how this trend can be reversed in the medium term. Sold some shares.


Saizen REIT was finally delisted, with very little residual fund left as they had returned most of the capital earlier.


As at 24 Apr 18, I have investment in 28 companies (I've also indicated whether their source of business is solely in Singapore only or not):

AIMS-AMP Industrial REIT (Singapore only)
Ascott REIT
Ausnet Services
Boustead Singapore Ltd
Cache Logistics Trust (Singapore only)
CapitaCommercial Trust (Singapore only)
CapitaMall Trust (Singapore only)
CapitaRetailChina REIT
ComfortDelGro
First REIT
Fraser Centrepoint Trust
Hongkong Land
Keppel Corp
Kingsmen Creatives
M1 (Singapore only)
UOB
SATS
SIA Engineering
Silverlake Axis
Singapore Press Holdings
Singapore Technologies Engineering
Second Chance Properties (Singapore only)
Sembcorp Industries
Singpost
SingTel
Singapore Shipping Corp
Venture Corp
VICOM (Singapore only)

Comments

Twilight Man said…
You need to teach me how to invest like you and sit at home.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant