Progressive lenses

I needed reading glasses even before I hit 40 😭, which is typically the earliest age for the onset of age-related long-sightedness (presbyopia). At first, I just settled on getting a separate pair of reading glasses, on top of the existing glasses for near-sightedness (myopia), but I was irritated by the constant switching I needed to do and, more importantly, going out with it when I forgot to switch @@.

So couple years ago, I got myself ZEISS digital lenses. I also asked for adaptive feature to protect my eyes from strong light, chiefly the sun. It cost RM 1350, including frame @@. Took me ages to get used to read using these lenses and even till now, I felt that reading glasses works better at reading my laptop's screen.

After just two years, my reading power has gone up 😱 Since the power now has exceeded the limit of the digital lenses, I had to get progressive lenses. These too I asked the optician to add adaptive feature to it. After choosing a particular pair of HOYA lenses, its total cost is RM 2000, excluding frame @@

If it turns out that in the future I have to change again in a couple years, I would probably opt for cheaper lenses. RM 2000 for 2 years is a lot!

I had headache and/or pressure around my eyes when I used these new lenses. I remember it was the same with the digital lenses which took significantly longer than all my previous near-sighted lenses for these symptoms to go away. I also was having trouble looking through the right section of the lenses for different distances (apparently there are 5 different powers), and I was anxious about driving because I couldn't seem to get the right angle to read signboards. Another huge problem was the feeling of nausea whenever I used my glasses outside, which I surmised to be related to long-distance sighting.

After a few WhatsApp messages, the optometrist asked me to drop by so that she can adjust, presumably the positioning of the frame. On the other hand, I wanted her to check whether the manufacturer has used the imbued the correct power level in the lenses but she didn't. She asked a few questions, including whether I felt like vomiting or not. She then adjusted the frame such that now I would be looking through the lower-powered parts of the lenses naturally.

Guess what? It worked! Woot! No more headache. No more nausea.

Comments

William said…
$$$$$. Too expensive. However also need to get them to work.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant