Arthroscopy part 2

Surgery was scheduled at 12 pm but could be postponed to after 2pm due to packed schedule. I was asked to fast from 5am onward @@ The reason, given by a nurse in response to my question, was to prevent food from possibly entering the lungs if I was under GA. Even if I chose RA, there might be a chance that GA be administered due to circumstances.

So I was woken up just after 4.30am to have a cup of Milo and 6 pieces of biscuits @@. I hardly slept till then. Fortunately, I managed to sleep before 7am for more than 3 hours. I changed into the surgical gown before wheeled out of the ward after 11am. Waited at common area of the operating theatre (OT) for over an hour, waiting for the orthopedic surgeon, before brought into the OT itself.

Preparation started at about 12.25pm, including injection of anaesthesia around the spine. I was alarmed right after the antibiotic injection: I shivered a lot, felt like fainting and had slight fastric pain. Later on, I learned that my blood pressure dropped too. The anaesthetis put on an oxygen breathing aid on me and I felt much better shortly after.

The actual surgery lasted from about 12.50pm to 1.40pm. Turned out I didn't need sedation: I watched the arthroscopy on screen. It was quite fascinating and a little scary at the same time, knowing that the cotton-like stuff floating was damaged cartilage @@

I was in the recovery area until 3.15pm. The anaesthesia completely wore off 4 hours later. I was told that I shouldn't move at all. Whatever I needed, however small the tasks were, I could ask the nurse for help (which they did). That also meant peeing and pooing in bed @@ I didn't poo the previous day and so it was quite a high chance I would do so.

The funny thing was that I didn't feel like peeing and so a few hours later, a nurse later handed me a container, seemingly asking me to pee (after she found out I hadn't done so) . Yes, there was lots of liquid. Fancy that.

I was hoping to only needing to poo only after they teach me to use the crutches but unfortunately, I had to do so at about 5am (bowel started to feel painful), using a bed pan. Wasn't condusive to poo: only one lump but at least it provided relief. Cleaned myself thoroughly with wet wipes and toilet paper before calling the nurse to dispose of it.

The next day, I had to poo again but this time I was wheeled to the bathroom. Ahhhhh, what a relief. So much more comfortable.

Orthopedic wanted me to stay for one more night but I didn't want to. So he scheduled the last dose of antibiotic injection and physiotherapy in the afternoon. During physiotherapy, I learned 5 different exercises and also how to use the crutches.

Once the hospital sorted out the bill with the insurance company, I was discharged. Needed to pay RM 18.15 for "bed bath" that was excluded from insurance. This, according to the nurse, was the cost of the wet wipes and she was puzzled why this was excluded. Yeah, strange. Daniel came up to help me pack my remaining stuff (I couldn't pack all coz of mobility issue), as permitted by the nurses as gesture of goodwill. Paid the outstanding bill, collected medicine and we were out of hospital just before 5pm. Right smack into heavy traffic during this Ramadan month @@

Comments

William said…
I wonder if they counted how many wet wipes you used

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant