Pseudoephedrine

I experience a peculiar side effect from taking pseudoephedrine: restless leg syndrome (RLS). Usually doctors prescribe the medicine to be taken at night before bed and consistently I wakes up 2-3 hours after going to bed with RLS.

For context,

" Pseudoephedrine is used for the temporary relief of stuffy nose and sinus pain/pressure caused by infection (such as the common cold, flu) or other breathing illnesses (such as hay fever, allergies, bronchitis). Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant (sympathomimetic). " - WebMD

" Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a condition that causes a very strong urge to move the legs. The urge to move usually is caused by an uncomfortable feeling in the legs. " - Mayo Clinic

RLS is not listed as one of the side effects of pseudoephedrine as far as I can tell from searching the internet. There is one documented case that''s highligted by researchers in the Journal of General and Family Medicine

So whenever doctors ask me about my allergies, I will highlight this medicine. However, there was once, a doctor prescribed me a cough syrup that later one I discovered that it contained pseudoephedrine. Yes, my sleep was disrupted for a few nights.

When I reminded the doctor about my adverse reaction to it, she apologised and suggested that I take it during the day, instead of night. That worked: I didn't have RLS even when I napped but it made it drowsy for most of the day, which I didn't like either. Fortunately, I recovered before finishing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant