Ban's new phone

After I started using ASUS Zenfone 8 about 2.5 years ago, I noticed how slow Ban's phone (Samsung Galaxy J6 plus) was. It became more obvious as he needed to install and use more apps on it but he was still fine with using it.

What changed his mind was the sudden erratic clicking of the phone's pointer i.e. it moved erratically and randomly clicking everywhere. The technician at Dr iDevice guessed that moisture had somehow gotten in and messed up its inside. After trying her best to dry its inside, she advised Ban to observe. Didn't charge him, even though he offered :)

It didn't come back for sometime but when it did, coupled with him dealing with the slow process of using more apps, Ban decided to get a new phone. As a birthday gift (he rarely needed anything!), I offered to research for a phone that suited his criteria and helped to purchase it.

This was the list of criteria that I came up with, based on my observation of how he used his previous phones, which he agreed upon:

1. At least 64 GB memory space, 8 GB RAM
2. Budget: midrange, below RM 2k
3. Android
4. Brand doesn't matter
5. 5G network
6. NFC capable
7. Good audio

As with how I researched to get my ASUS Zenfone 8, I started looking at "top ten" lists by various reviewers. The first line of filter was availability (on Shopee). The second was price. That crossed out a lot of phones.

In the end, I narrowed it down to two and I highlighted their relative strength between them to Ban (based on the extensive reviews done by GSMArena.com):

 (1) Samsung Galaxy A55
- design
- build quality
- performance
- camera

(2) Xiaomi Poco X6 Pro
- resolution
- battery
- charging
- loudness

Point on loudness: although tests showed there was a difference, to Ban there wasn't. Clearly it wasn't significant enough for him.

The deal-breaker, as I suspected, was build quality: Galaxy A55 is IP67-certified i.e. dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 min) while Poco X6 Pro is IP54-certified i.e. dust and splash resistant. He could be clumsy at times and so having a sturdier handset is a major plus point.

Choosing the seller itself took hours because I was shifting through the reviews of all potential sellers. I also wanted to postpone the purchase because I thought the huge discount 9.9 voucher was already exhausted. Fortunately, the next day, I checked again and it was there. Also, a seller happened to have huge discount as well. In total, the discount to its orignal price was more than RM 700, costing RM 1,361 :)

I'm glad that Ban is happy with this phone. Yay! Mission accomplished :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant