Useless flight discount (to me)
I rarely fly. Once a year, for sure I'll make a trip to Australia to spend time with my sister and her family, something that I enjoyed tremendously and of course subjected to their agreement on timing etc. I typically will fly Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to Australia and fly Singapore Airlines (SIA) back home. Other than that, I might at most fly to Singapore once a year via Firefly.
In recent years, right after I purchased MAS ticket, I received an email from them within the same day or the next day, offering discount on the next flight. This seems to be a useless promotion to me: how likely that I would want to purchase another flight ticket right after having purchased one already? I would think that even for the those who fly often, they wouldn't have planned that much ahead, right?
Imagine for a typical working person: "I just purchased flight ticket to Australia for my planned vacation in 6 months time and ooooh, they just offered me discount on the next flight. Fantastic! I'll plan my next vacation in 12 months time in the next few days and used this discount to buy the flight ticket. Thank you MAS!"
Really?
Ok, to their credit, there isn't a deadline (at least not stated in the email) to use make use of the discount but goodness, I wouldn't remember to use it in in the far future. I would think it would be far more effective if they offered this in, say, 6 months time and definitely right after a purchase.
Also, within the same Jun 2026 email, there's this promotion:
Look at the expiry date😅 That's certainly 100% useless to me.

Comments