Resign, rent, move

I've tendered my resignation recently, although I suspect my manager, who is the team-leader of my team, hasn't told the relevant personnel yet. Going to meet him soon to have the "talk". Hopefully my resignation date still stands.

I've made up my mind to resign since late last year. I'm not the only one: at least 2 other colleagues will move on too. One has already left. I see no good things coming out from working for the empress for as long as she is in charge of our practice and determines our career lives within the company.

However, I wasn't certain what I was going to do next. I've been pondering for quite a long time (at least 6 months). At one point, I thought of looking for a job with specific criteria: work mostly from home and with lesser workload than current job.

One day, while in office, it suddenly struck me that it would be good to spend an extended period of time with my parents. They are both getting old. Although physically my dad appears to age the most, my mother is the one with health issues. They are definitely happier to have their children around. In fact, on a few occassions, I observed that my mum's health improved a lot when I was there.

So I decided to go through the trouble and temporary stress and pain to rent out my place in Singapore. I can sell it, of course, and get rid of the monthly house loan repayment of my back but I'm taking my sister's advice to rent out first just in case I don't like living in Malaysia. So I worked out a budget: met up with my agent (who helped me to refinance my loan and whose company provides a variety of services) to talk about tenancy management and potential rental income, researched on taxes, expenses here and in Malaysia etc. It appears to be doable and so I'm going ahead with that plan.

I plan to rent out my place from September 2010 onward. That'll give me most of August to deal with packing and moving back to Malaysia (as I would have stopped working by early August). I plan to spend half my time with my parents and half my time in KL where Ban, my sister and some of my friends are.

I do hope to do some freelance actuarial work that can be done from home. For that, I would need to build up contacts with possible clients.

One outstanding thing left is to hopefully get a friend's help to collect my mails every month and post them back to Malaysia (I shall bear the expenses and transport cost).

Comments

William said…
A new chapter in life!
Anonymous said…
Doesn't Spore have a redirection mail service? Over here we pay about $15 per month for redirection and at discounted bulk price...i.e. longer redirection, cheaper cost per month.

Hmmm...although so far our redirections have been within the country...

-Sis
zac said…
wow...where is ur place? how much rent are u asking?
Shake Trees said…
if u do have savings, its ok for u to be jobless for awhile. do ur parents need ur financial support?
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
Hope it turns out well.

Sis,
There is such service. S$45 for 1st month, S$55 for 2nd, S$65 for 3rd month onward. I'm sure it's cheaper to get someone to send them once a month.

zac,
Simei. Heard from my agent it ranges from S$2.5k to S$3k depending on a few factors I guess. Hope he'll get me good rental income hehe.

Koala Express,
The expected rental income is enough to support myself :) And yes, I also have savings. My parents are fine at the moment and I have plans to support them in future.
MrBunnyBan said…
You probably don't need the mail all that much if you're good at telling the important ones you changed address.
Jaded Jeremy said…
Ban,
Problem is that I'm not sure whether there will be adhoc important mails that require immediate attention or not.
MrBunnyBan said…
Hmm. Now that I think about it, maybe better make sure your resignation letter gets through the proper channels since you're making deals with agents.
Anonymous said…
Most M'sian parents love to have their children with them if not nearby. Want to wish you well in this new chapter. I admire your courage to take this big step to improve the quality of your life. Hope you will get freelance work soon. Redirection mail here does not go overseas either. SR
Jaded Jeremy said…
Ban,
You know the story by now already, right? :)

SR,
Thanks for your wishes. There's service to redirect mail to overseas. Expensive. I've already changed my mailing address for most organisations so that they'll send their mails to my address in Malaysia. I'll then just ask my agent to bulk mail the remaining mails to me when he does the quarterly check on the tenant.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant