Stomachache when go to bed

For years, I usually get stomachache half of the time when I'm ready to sleep. It could just be purely gastric or stomach cramp or both. If I'm certain it's just gastric, I'll take some bread and then antacid. If that fails, then it's omeprazole and domperidone. If I'm not certain, then it's all of these.

The only time I manage to reduce the frequency is when I'm in Australia (each time!). I couldn't seem to duplicate that, unfortunately. I tried all sorts and sometimes it worked for a few nights and then it was back to the same regularity.

This time I tried this:
  • No milk before bed (I used to drink cow's milk and then goat's milk)
  • A glass of Nestum (not mixed with milk or anything else)
  • A slice of plain bread, with no milk component in it (so far, only Hailam bread fits this criteria but boy, it's quite difficult to get)
So far, for about 2 weeks, there was only once or twice I needed to take medication. Otherwise, the worst was that I do feel some discomfort in my stomach but I could still sleep, especially if I use my small pillow to keep my stomach warm.

Hopefully this formula (though I wish it's tastier!) works in the long term.

Comments

William said…
I thought Nestum got susu inside?
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
Milk is not listed among its ingredient though Nestum may have traces of milk.
Twilight Man said…
The scientists have proven that gastric pain was caused my certain bacteria in human's stomach. So it varies for different individual person's attack sources. Years ago, they held a global awareness talk at Sunway Hotel and invited all the medics worldwide to attend. I don't know what tablet is being sold now to counter and cure the problem. I think it was an Australian who discovered this. Good Luck!
Jaded Jeremy said…
Twilight Man,
One of the bacteria commonly causes gastritis is Helicobacter Pylori (H. Pylori). I was diagnosed this before (but years after I was diagnosed having acid reflux) and cured later.
Anonymous said…
First, H. pylori can recur, esp if youve eaten communally with people who are carriers. Also, could it be possible you are lactose intolerant? sr
Jaded Jeremy said…
sr,
But does it make sense I'm lactose intolerant only at night? Also, I can eat cheese.
Anonymous said…
Good point. Perhaps the culprit was the bread. Now that you found Hailam bread, you may try introducing some milk in the mix and see what happens. Does milk not bother you when taken earlier in the day? BTW, I do know people who cannot tolerate milk but can take cheese. Difference in the processing. sr
Jaded Jeremy said…
sr,
Milk is ok during the day. Only problematic close to bedtime.
Anonymous said…
Me too! Decades later, I discovered I'm sensitive to wheat and gluten. So Nestum was the culprit.
Jaded Jeremy said…
Anonymous,
Guess what? Later I found out I can't take Nestum or oat just before bed. Perfectly fine any other time during the day.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant