The return of Everquest

Couple of weeks ago, Ban told me about Guild Wars 2. A few friends we know were planning to get it (one just did). I even watched a video of a review about it, together with Ban. It seems to be a very promising MMORPG (Ban and I are always on a lookout for games we can play together) and yet it's subscription-free!

Unfortunately my laptop's specification does not meet the minimum system requirement. Incidentally, my laptop doesn't meet minimum or recommended requirement for Diablo 3, Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City. Lol. Oh well. I sure not going to purposely buy new laptop just to play games. Besides, I'm focusing on accumulating money after spending tonnes on renovating the house my parents are staying in and also repair of the apartment in Singapore.

With the advent of subscription-free MMORPG, there's murmuring about the death of subscription-based MMORPG. Out of curiousity, I checked Everquest to see. To my great surprise, it is still alive! In addition, in conjuction with its 13th birthday and the release of its 18th expansion, it was made free!

Ok, it is not as great as it sounds because there are 3 tiers: Free-to-Play ("F2P"), Silver and Gold. It takes only a one-time payment of USD5 to upgrade from F2P to Silver but the difference is quite great, notably: bag slot increases from 4 to 6 and in-game money limit increases from 100 platinum pieces ("pp") to 500pp per level. Gold gives full access at a subscription fee of nearly USD15 per month. I sure am not going that route.

Both F2P and Silver allow players to choose from only 4 races and 4 classes. However, for former subscriber like me, my account (my characters are still there!) is automatically upgraded to Silver and I get to use my old characters :)

The great news is that my laptop's system easily meets the recommended requirement. After much thinking, I decided to give it a try again, more out of nostalgia than anything. Ban gamely decided to join me as well. I'll be playing my level 25 druid and am now waiting for Ban to finish his newbie quest before he 'graduates' and joins me in the world outside.

As to whether I'll stay long this time, only time will tell. Hey, it's free. So if I get bored, I can leave it and maybe get back in again...in another 8 years again? Hehehe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant