Authentic curry laksa instant noodle...really!


Curry laksa instant noodle

When I visited my sister in Canberra, she showed me this particular instant noodle that she liked to have. The first thing I noticed was the unusual black background. I can't recall having seen such colour used for instant noodle packaging before. Next, I noticed how autentic looking the bowl of curry laksa in the picture but as with many pictures of food, I believed it with a pinch of salt.

What shocked me was its price tag: AUD2.80! That too was the cheapest as there were other stores selling it for AUD3.20. However, knowing my sister's care in her spending, I was curious to find out what was so good about this instant noodle that warranted such high price. Sure, its weight was 178g - double the weight of a typical instant noodle - but still even then, it was expensive.

After she cooked a packet and let me try, I was wowed! The taste reminded me of nyonya laksa and its smell was just as authentic as that from a bowl of curry laksa back in Malaysia or Singapore. It was incredible!

Curry laksa instant noodle 1

Curry laksa instant noodle 2

(As you can tell, I remembered to take photo of it only after I was almost done with it :P. The portion was bigger than this bowl because I shared with my sister.)

Its authenticity seems to be due to "premium prima taste paste", rather than the typical seasoning powder. The paste ingredients were:
  • vegetable oil (palm olein)
  • shallot
  • water
  • curry powder (coriander, chilli, salt, fennel seed, dhal, tumeric, cumin, black pepper, cinnomon, star anise, clove, cardamom)
  • garlic
  • lemon grass
  • galangal
  • salt candlenut
  • dried chilli
  • sugar
  • spices
  • chilli
  • flavour
  • turmeric
  • ginger
  • shrimp paste (shrimp, salt)
  • modified waxy maize starch (acetylated distarch adipate)
Wow! Except for the last ingredient, that sure looks like authentic ingredients for the curry laksa paste. Also, there's no MSG.

Another plus was the "steamed air-dried premium noodle" i.e. not fried.

It was made in Singapore. Hmmm I wonder it's available in Singapore or not.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, it does look authentic. Must look for it when in S'pore. sr

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant