Second tooth crowning: Part 1

I had my first root canal treatment decades ago when I was studying in Australia. It was on a front lower middle tooth. Perhaps it wasn't a standard recommendation then (or maybe not standard in Australia, even now) but in recent years, dentists had told me that usually root canal treatment is recommended at the same time as the treatment, not merely because of aesthetic reason but to protect the tooth from chipping. Mine did chip of a little over the years.

I was quite concerned about the extend of the chipping and so on a recent trip to the government dental clinic to treat a separate tooth that was re-sensitised (too much sweet drinks and/or desserts while on a 5 nights trip to Singapore haha), I asked the dentist advice on crowning that tooth. She affirmed what all other dentists had told/advised me but, in response to my query, public dental clinics do not offer such service.

So I made an appointment, via phone, at Ting Dental Clinic. I've been to this clinic maybe 3 times: annual checkup, sensitive tooth and wisdom tooth extraction (not salvagable because of cavity on a side that was difficult to brush properly). All these times, I was attended by Dr Yong but this time, I was attended by Dr Ting (the lady doctor; her brother is also a dentist there).

When I first enquired over the phone, I was told that it would cost RM 850 but later on, I was informed that this is the metal version (which, I was told after inspection, was the same as that done on the back upper right tooth but cheaper). The ceramic version, costing RM 2000, is this aesthetically better and, more importantly, is made more accurately using computerised machine, unlike the handmade metal version.

However, there was an issue before crowning: the tooth is small and so downsizing it (so that the crown can be fit on it) might render its structure unstable. I accepted the dentist's recommendation of inserting a 'pillar' (can't find a better word) into it before crowning it. It cost RM 350 but it would be waived if I chose ceramic crown i.e. RM 1150 (metal crown) vs RM 2000 (ceramic crown). She told me that I could think it over while she did the necessary to insert the pillar.

Comments

William said…
Memang patut panggil pillar cause the price like doing house reno.
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
That cheap meh for house?

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant