SMART event

One day, my IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) needed my attention:




For the above and many refences obtained via a web search, it was highly likely that my hard disk was dying, especially since this event kept popping up everyday.


This was the result shown by Crystal DiskInfo. Not good.



The final nail in the diagnosis.

So I had no choice but to replace the hard disk. I could have waited until it kaput completely but it might happen at an inconvenient time and also I don't like unplanned events.

Although my laptop is already out of warranty, I was willing to pay Dell technician to solve this issue. Unfortunately, they no longer stocked such hard disk.They suggested that I shopped locally for an SSD compatible with my laptop. On hindsight, this doesn't make sense because WDC WD7500BPKX-75HPJT0 is a SATA hard disk, not a SSD. This sort of caused me problem later on.

At Digital Mall, at the first shop I ventured in, I was dismayed to learn that they no longer carried such compatible SSD. I figured that the substantially larger All IT Hypermart at the top floor was my best chance to get it, and I was right! Phew.

Bought a Samsung 250 GB SSD. It was either that or 1 TB version. On hindsight, I probably should had bought the latter. Didn't realise how small 250 GB is nowadays @@

They replaced the disk for free. I did think of but then decided not to pay them to install Windows because I would need to leave my laptop overnight. So I went home and did installed everything that I wanted. Took many hours.

No more SMART event. Good results from Crystal DiskInfo. Yay!

The headache came when I wanted to accelerated the disk, using the mSATA. There was simply no way of doing it, despite getting it to work thrice previously using what I painfully learned. Much later, after searching the web, I concluded that mSATA is used to accelerate HDD, not SSD. Well, luckily it doesn't matter: my laptop performs equally fast using this SSD compared to an accelerated HDD.

Since the mSATA wasn't used for acceleration, I later converted it to a storage disk, which I sorely need it because of the videos I create of the games I play.

Comments

William said…
With SSD, performance should be noticeably better.
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
I'm just happy that it's as good as the previously accelerated HDD.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant