Australia: Going down the university memory avenue Part 1

University Ave

Just when I thought there was nothing else I want to accomplish during this trip, suddenly I was inspired to take a walk on my university's campus. It was unfortunate that it was not a good day to take photos. Oh well.

ANU

The Australian National University. It was where I spent the last 4 non-working years of my life. It was quite an emotional journey and at least one of my major ailments arose during my tenure here. I had the most free time ever during my entire academic life e.g. during my third year, I had only about 10-11 hours of classes per week, including both lectures and tutorials. It was my first real taste of internet too...yum ;-)

Coombs Theatre

Coombs Theatre. It's where I went, often with friends and my sis, to watch movies screened by the ANU Film Group. With movie tickets in cinema obscenely high, the Film Group's membership fee was dirt cheap. At the start of each semester, they have already lined up what movies they were going to screen during the semester and hence one could decide whether it was worthwhile to join or not and more often than not, the answer is a resounding "yes". If at any screening, there wasn't enough seat, then that movie would be rescreened on Sunday afternoon.

They show all sort of movies from mainstream to artsy, international to local, past to very recent movies. Remember Titanic? At the start of the semester, the Group has already secured the rights to screen it later that semester even though the movie was not out yet in the cinema at the start of the semester.

Menzies library

Opposite the Coombs Theatre is the Menzies library. Asian Studies students would use this library regularly. It is where I've found English version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, in 2 thick books. I've enjoyed reading it and am really happy that I finally get to read the fabled tales.

Unfortunately, in my haste (was rushing for an appointment), I forgot to take pictures of Hancock and Chiefly libraries - the other 2 libraries that I use from time to time.

ANU grasscourts

Somewhere behind the Menzies library are 4 grasscourts. Artificial grasscourts to be exact. Usually I play tennis on the hardcourts, which are nearer to the hall I stayed at but at times my friends and I craved for some grasscourt actions especially during Wimbledon Open :-)

ANU BBQ pit

Behind the grasscourts is a BBQ pit and some benches. I've never had BBQ here before but I've attended at least 1 BBQ each year since the Aussies love BBQ.

Path across drain

There is a path from the tennis courts via the BBQ pit that crosses this huge "river". Actually this river is part of a huge drain. It does smell a little but amazingly there are usually birds hanging around. I usually take this path as a shortcut to the tennis courts or to Coombs Theatre unless I'm cycling. It really depends on whether my friends have bicycles and willing to cycle or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant