Wedding dinner & red packet

How much red packet do you give for a wedding dinner? I understand the convention is to give enough to cover your share of the cost of the dinner i.e. cost per table divided by the number of people at the table.

The logic behind this is to help the newly weds in covering the cost of the dinner. Yes, that is definitely a good way to help them, especially if they are your loved ones but only if you can afford to do so. Unfortunately, due to society’s convention, it’s better to decline attending such dinner, even if it’s in the honour of your loved ones, than to turn up with meager red packet.

I recounted to my colleague during lunch that during my younger days, my family has to avoid going to wedding dinners simply because we cannot afford the red packets. Or at least minimise the number of members attending. We were rather poor back then. My colleague (who thought that anyone giving anything lesser than conventional amount are misers) suggested that we just don’t attend. I responded that that is not the point. The point is that it is stupid that we cannot go as a family to celebrate the wedding of people dear to us simply because of society’s convention.

Do you decide to attend wedding dinner of people close to you only if you can afford the cost or simply because you truly want to celebrate their wedding? Shouldn’t the latter be the determining factor rather than, “Geez, what will people think of my $20 red packet?”

If I ever hold a wedding dinner, I shall forbid anyone from giving me any red packets or presents to avoid such dilemma. The presence of people close to me is more than sufficient, and so I would hate that society’s convention may just prevent some of them from attending.

PS: James, perhaps you got this right for your birthday few months back.

Comments

savante said…
Yay. No red packets :)
Medie007 said…
i'm happy with gifts. that's wat we give normally. only when we dunno wat to give, then we give red packets. that's how things work in our family. ;)

besides,if you're coming to my wedding, i do expect wedding gifts. LOL
Jaded Jeremy said…
savante,
Why am I not surprised? :-) But you jolly well be present.

Medie007,
Do you want presents or presence of friends? That's the crux of my post.

William,
How I know??

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant