Avatar

I watched Avatar recent. It is a good movie but truth be told, I expected it to be great, not merely good. I wasn't exactly wowed by it. Maybe I was caught up in the hype and so had high expectation? *shrug*

I watched the 3-D version. Again, nothing to shout about. It didn't seem to do much difference to me. In retrospect, I wouldn't have paid S$5 to watch it in 3-D and wearing uncomfortable 3-D glasses in front of my own glasses.

The first encounter between the two main characters reminded me too much of Pocahontas, especially with the theme on respecting nature, give thanks to the animal killed for food etc. I wouldn't have blinked my eyes if Neytiri burst out singing "Colours of the Wind", especially callimg Jake Sully a "baby" when it comes to understanding the forest and stuff. It would have fitted the scene perfectly, with her running up tree trunks and jumping around while pointing to the lovely flora and fauna around.

Yah, I'm just a tad dissapointed because I expected something really different, not only in visual but also the details of the storyline.

Having said that, I will still recommend this movie. Probably not in 3-D though.

Comments

Little Dove said…
I'll go watch Pocahontas in 3D. Haha ;p
Elyssa said…
Thank goodness I booked Avatar not in 3D. Yeah..nowadays I try not to get into the hyped of all the great comments from people about a movie. Then I would not have such high expectations on the movie. But this movie really had people talking..saying its the best 2009 movie etc. Shucks..wished I did not see those comments...haha
Jaded Jeremy said…
Little Dove,
You're watching it soon?

Lyssa,
Hehe well, at least this should lower your expectation :)
MrBunnyBan said…
But its sci-fi pocahontas in spazzy computer animated 3-d! (and well, poca was a hit too...)
Jaded Jeremy said…
Ban,
I do like Pocahontas but I expected something different from Avatar.
Anonymous said…
Sarah saw it 2x too, with and without 3-D. She said, without was better. Someone said not to waste money on the Sherlock Holmes movie -- go see Avatar again instead. sl
Jaded Jeremy said…
sl,
I also watched Avatar non-3D recently. I honestly don't think it makes a difference and it's a waste of money to pay for the 3D version. Moreover, the 3D glasses are uncomfortable.
Anonymous said…
JJ, under your profile, you listed "27 Dresses" among you fav movies. I've seen that movie listed on tv several times but skipped it. Next time it comes on, I'll see it. BTW, do you still follow Am. Idol? If so, what do you think of "Lee"? SR
Jaded Jeremy said…
SR,
I haven't followed AM for years.
Anonymous said…
BTW, have you ever seen any of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot on tv?--they are our favs. The actor who plays Hercule is superb. SR

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant