Complexity of closing BSN account

11am
Arrived at the branch where I opened my savings account. Told them that I wanted to close my account but I had misplaced the book. I was told that they would need a week to process my request (presumedly because need approval for either request or both request from main branch?) and so I was advised to go to the main branch if I wanted it done immediately.

Time spent: 10mins

12.30pm
Upon entry, in the absence of any instructions, I took a queue number. Once my number was flashed, I told them what I wanted to do. I was informed that I had to approach the customer service desk to fill up forms. Waited further to speak to the CSO, who subsequently helped to process a form for me. However, I then was told to approach counter 10, which is not part of the queue number system. There was no one at that counter. I was asked to come back at 2pm as the counter 10 person was taking her 'rest' (I believed it was lunch time to be specific).

Time spent: 40mins

2pm
No one at counter 10. So patiently waited. The CSO was going around, appearing to try to pre-empt people who eventually would be told to approach her (since most of us would have automatically taken the queue number for counters 3-8) and was surprised to see me still there. I told her that counter 10 person wasn't there earlier and so I came back again.

Eventually someone else stood at counter 10 (he was already waiting elsewhere at the bank when I came back at 2pm). He managed to get the security guard to get the counter 10 person from the office. Unfortunately, this customer's case seems rather complex because the counter 10 person kept going back to office to get more and more forms. Kesian.

I then approached the counter and gave her the completed form and my IC. I was then told I needed to fill yet another form at the customer service desk. Goodness! I waited a little while before attended by the CSO, filled the form and submited both forms to counter 10 after waiting at the counter a few minutes. I suspect she is part-time manning that counter while working in office.

I was asked to (yet again) wait for my name to be called. Next, counter 7 attended me. Took an electronic scan of my thumbprint and then was asked to wait (again!). Finally, counter 8 attended me and duly told me that RM20 was deducted for the issuance of a new book (couldn't they just close account without issuing a new book?), passed me the book and bid me farewell. I informed her that I wanted to close my account. She then did more paperwork and deducted another RM10 for closing account (at least this was as expected).

Time spent: 1hr 15 mins.

Total time spent: ridiculously long!

Comments

Little Dove said…
Welcome back to Bolehland. Sigh. That's how some people work here.
Legolas said…
Open bank accounts with bigger banks like CIMB or HSBC. At least they know what they're doing.
Shake Trees said…
u had bsn? goodness... glad all is ok now.
Jaded Jeremy said…
Little Dove,
Funny thing is that counter 10 person asked me why I wanted to close account. Told her I didn't want it any more.

Legolas, Koala Express,
It was my first bank account lah. Opened ages ago...nearly my whole life. Parents chose that because 'dijamin oleh kerajaan. I did open a CIMB account couple months back. That's why I closed this BSN account.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant