Data Execution Prevention (DEP) error

Recently, I've purchased the game King's Bounty: The Legend, which is like the rpg version of Heroes of Might and Magic. Recommended for fans of the latter.

Anyway, after playing it for some time, I began experiencing frequent crashes. The error message stated that my laptop's DEP closed the programme for security reason blah blah blah.

At first, it wasn't a big deal as I diligently saved the game often but it came to a point where it crashed within 10 mins of loading/reloading a saved game.

Googling time
It seems to be a problem shared by quite a number of people with most of them having in common the following:
  • Windows Vista (such a troublesome Windows!)
  • Nvidia graphic card
It's very disappointing that the game's developer didn't release a patch to fix this (unlike the developer of the free MMORPG Trickster).

I have tried the following suggestions but didn't work:
(1) Turned off the sound of the game
(2) Disable Nvidia display driver service
(3) (2) + change from "automatic" to "manual" for startup Nvidia programmes
(4) Turned off DEP (risky, in my opinion)
(5) Update Nvidia graphic card's driver

Phew, finally something works!
Finally, what did work was (i) rolling back the graphic card's driver as far back as possible and (ii) immediately installing the latest driver. It was a variant of a suggestion made by someone who successfully solved the problem buy uninstalling all different versions of the driver and installing the latest one after that.

I did not undo option (3) above but my gut feel is that it didn't matter.

I spent about 4 hours of so trying to troubleshoot this problem. I hope this helps someone out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant