Bread: Extra egg

My third attempt at baking bread using the sponge and dough method yielded the largest dough ever! It was a result of proving the dough (i.e. letting the kneaded dough to rise to at least twice its size) longer than I wanted to (was busy outside). It was so large that it couldn't fit into the loaf pan (gah, should have taken a photo).

So I split the dough into two and baked half on that day and the remaining the next day. The first half tasted as per normal but the second one was harder and smelled of yeast i.e. the sourish smell. The latter didn't rise as much after I took out of the fridge even after I placed it in the oven together with a separate tray of hot water (and then later, switched on the oven at very low fire).

For the next attempt, I wanted to to reduce the volume but since the recipe requires an egg, it's difficult to 'split' the egg. Hence, I decided to reduce everything else by a quarter.

However, the decision was taken out of my hand due to lack of yeast. The amount left was just enough for half the original volume. Oh well. In fact, I also ran out of wholemeal flour and so I used entirely high protein flour.

The resultant dough was very gooey and the softest thus far of all dough I've made.

Extra egg sponge dough

The texture is starkly different from all other bread I baked. It reminds me of untoasted muffin. I prefer the original recipe version i.e. proportionately less egg. Hmmm next time I may still try reduce all ingredient by a quarter except the egg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant