Seaweed and avocado saga

I've been making salmon maki once a week during this MCO. Instead of jointly making them, we have adopted the same strategy as any other cooking session: one person cooks, the other person washes dishes and wipes stove. However, when it comes to maki and pizza, we also watch a show together while having dinner. So far, we have watched Phantom of the Opera and Ghost in the Shell (original animated version), and are currently watching the tv series The Untamed.

One day, to my surprise, Jaya Grocer ran out of seaweed. We waited a few days and still it wasn't restocked (we checked two outlets). It wasn't available at Oliver Gourmet and I think it doesn't stock it in the first place. A senior staff at Starling Mall's Jaya Grocer called the supplier and then told me that seaweed would be restocked the following Tuesday i.e. 8 days later.

I hadn't bought cucumber yet but the problem was the ripe avocado. I agreed with Ban's suggestion of using it in making ham sandwich and so he immediately bought ham and lettuce. Fortunately, I still had like 5 slices of frozen homemade bread.








Ban declined to insert a microwaved-cooked egg in his sandwich. I normally would fry it but I was sort of pressed for time at that moment.

The result? The ham was a little saltier than I like but it was balanced decently with the lettuce, avocado and the unflavoured egg. The lettuce (Paprika Farm Lettuce Lollo Bionda) was especially good.

I still had frozen salmon and still aimed to make maki. I later bought cucumber just before Tuesday but unfortunately, the seaweed still hadn't arrived on that day! I then planned to have it as a side dish to homemade oyakodon. Unfortunately, due to bad timing, the cucumber was already spoiled (slimy!) by then :(

I then gave up on waiting for seaweed and so planned to make sandwich with fresh salmon, lettuce lollo bionda and avocado. Got the lettuce a little earlier and intended to bake bread on the day of making the sandwich. However, lo behold! There was seaweed! Lol. So I bought it and a ripe avocado and decided to use the lettuce as substitution for cucumber. It was a first haha.

I was severely disappointed to later discover that the avocado was spoiled! Hmph! So I made sweet egg roll instead.


It tasted great....if you have an open mind haha. The lettuce, of course, provided a rather unique taste. Reminds me of Vietnamese spring roll - the large unfried version, with prawn in it. I may do this again. It was a little easier rolling it than using cucumber.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant