Imported Nyonya chang

Upon a friend's recommendation, I ordered some Nyonya rice dumplings from a seller based in Melaka. It appeared that a minimum order of 10 was required and so I also ordered some Hokkien bak chang with salted egg yolk for Ban's parents and a tub of pineapple tarts for myself. Delivery fee was RM 20 @@

Recently, with her agreement, I provided the following feedback:

Hokkien bak chang:  very good; lots of meat.

Nyonya chang: loved the glutinous rice's texture; the filling seems to lack spices because all I tasted was sweetened minced pork.

Pineapple tart: delicious; the jam wasn't sickly sweet and not dry; the pastry wasn't too crumbly.

The feedback process went well until she said that she tried a spoonful of the Nyonya chang's filling of which she could taste the spiciness (due to coriander and pepper) but not so peppery kind of spiciness. She then assumed that I liked strong peppery taste.

This, I believed, is a mistake. Seller shouldn't make assumptions about the buyer's tastebud because it is a lazy dishonest way of brushing off the buyer's feedback. In this partcular case, as I told her, I don't like strong peppery taste because I have sensitive stomach, which is the same reason why I don't like pepper soup.

So upon her suggestion, I had a third rice dumpling but this time I got Ban to try it too. I purposely ate only the filling and thinking hard about it, I did taste a tiny bit of spiciness. Ban tried and said that the spices were subtle and that he wouldn't even notice it if I didn't ask him to think about it.

Upon hearing this, the seller said she would increase the amount of coriander and pepper ratio. It seems that the quality of those has decreased over the years. She would also inform the supplier about it so that hopefully they'll roast the spices longer. However, that would make them lighter and so the supplier would earn less @@

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant