Marriage part 1

When a pair of acquaintances got married in Melbourne about 4 years ago, it did cross my mine to do so but it had to be put aside because my ailing dad and then later because of the start of Covid-19 pandemic. So when the opportunity arose for me to resume my annual visit to Canberra, I suggested marriage to Ban, who agreed, after a momentary startle 😊 

There are two personal reasons: (1) Although we have been treating each other has hubbies for years already, it's good to have this recognised somewhere in this world; (2) In case it matters during emergencies, especially medical ones.

Throught my research, the first thing needed to be done is to complete the first part of the Notice of Intended Marriage (NoIM) form, get an authorised personnel to witness us signing it and to hand it to an authorised marriage celebrant to lock in the 18-month period where we can hold a marriage solemnisation ceremony. The celebrant has to be given at least 1-month notice in advance of the date of the ceremony.

As I was in Butterworth, I first approached the Australia Consulate in Penang but they said such notarial service can only be sought at the Australia High Commission. That pushed our preferred date for the ceremony (9th Jan) further to 12th Jan as the earliest appointment (online!) for notarial service that I could get was 12th Dec.

Meanwhile, we had our first meeting with the marriage celebrant via Zoom. She was curated from a couple of best/top ten marriage celebrants list that my sister provided and I contacted her after I confirmed that she was listed in Australia Attorney-General's Department list of registered marriage celebrants. 

In keeping with our personalities, we planned for a simple and hassle-free ceremony that was held at my sister's home. Both her and her husband were our legal witnessess while their two sons were our only guests. The only "indulgence" we opted for was the welcome and introduction speech that the marriage celebrant drafted. Otherwise, as she said, strictly speaking it could all be over in 5 minutes: the legal requirements were merely for the celebrant to utter certain words and the couple to utter certain words and for the couple to sign certain documents. Simple -> fewer preparations -> fewer things that can go wrong :)

Comments

J said…
It's so surreal when I hear of something like this. Congratulations!

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant