Baldur's Gate 3: Paladin/Warlock playthrough

In my second playthrough, I played as Paladin/Warlock, known as Lockadin by some players and Pallock by me. It took me about 171 hours to complete, including the extra long-ish epilogue scene and, as usual, excluding reload time. It's significantly faster than the 230-hour playthrough as Bard, mainly because I was already familiar with many things by then and also I took shorter routes as well e.g. killing Gotash early, whch unexpectedly triggered the completion of the quest of rescuing Duke of Ravengard (a failure) and the Avenging the Ironhands quest (a success).

The idea behind this multiclass is to benefit from

  1. the stacking of extra attack from the Paladin class and the Pact of the Blade Warlock subclass i.e. 3 attacks altogether in a single turn.
  2. focusing only on Charisma as the ability to do weapon attack and spell attack, thanks to the feature of the pact.

So the first thing to do was to rush to Warlock level 3 as soon as possible to unlock Pact of the Blade so as to use Charisma to perform weapon attack and then to level 5 to gain the extra attack. However, I delayed that progression by 1 level by starting the character as a Paladin so that I would be able to wear the best armour possible, be it medium or heavy armour and to be able to use shield.

I started off as Zariel Tiefling, thinking that would using the racial Smite spells frequently but it didn't work out because I found out too late that these require both Action and Bonus action, which made them expensive to us since I can do better things with those two actions.

Once I get to Paladin 1/Warlock 5, I leveled up the Paladin side to 5 to get another extra attack. I then finished off as Paladin 7/Warlock 5 so that I get Aura of Protection and the subclass's aura.

The build for my companions are:

Astarion - Gloomstalker 8/Thief 4

Gale - Evocation Wizard 12

Karlach - Wild Magic Barbarian 8/Battlemaster 4

Ignoring equipment, I think the Pallock build is the most powerful of these, just pipping the Evocation Wizard. However, with equipment, the Gloomstalker/Thief with Arrow of Many Targets has the upper hand when battling multiple enemies. Against a single target, it might still be the Pallock.

Here are some gameplays:

Ketheric Thorm:

 

Ansur:


Cazador:


Sarevok:


Orin:


High Hall:


The final encounters:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant