The curious case of a stomach upset

A couple of weeks ago, I experienced stomach upset (gastric juice in overdrive) a few hours after my initial breakfast at home. This continued throughout that day and affected my sleep that night.

This is my attempt at guessing the culprit:

(1) My first guess of the culprit was the white bread I bought from Malaysia as that was the only thing different. So I bought my usual Gardenia white bread. Nope, it still happened.

(2) Then I thought maybe the kaya (the breadspread) has gone bad, despite its expiry date being next year. So I bought another kaya, a different brand too. Nope, didn't work. Gave the loaf of bread to my housemate hehe.

(3) Next I changed from white bread to raisin bread (it's not white, although I don't really know what it is). Wheat bread here or Malaysia doesn't work for me, unlike Australia's wheat bread. Weird, isn't it?

The raisin bread worked pretty well actually. The gastric juice rarely occurred then. However, my palate couldn't take too much of the raisin bread for too long.

(4) I then tried Weet-bix with fresh milk at home and muesli bars at office and whenever I'm hungry. Muesli bars worked very well but it is so very expensive! Unfortunately, gastric still occurred after Weet-bix (which previously didn't; I normally have it once every few days).

(5) My housemate alluded that it may due to the licorice and/or slippery elm supplement I recently started taking. I have temporarily stopped taking the former for a couple of weeks before he brought it up and so don't think it's that. I stopped slipper elm. Nope, didn't work either.

(6) Hence, I decided to stopped taking Lifepak and glucosamine supplement, both viewed to be essential to me, and try to take these supplements back one by one once my stomach stabilises.

Meanwhile, perhaps I should stick to raisin bread (but it's so rich in taste!). Hmmm should I see doctor now?

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
That's a surprise coming from you.
Little Dove said…
What about antacids?
Jaded Jeremy said…
Little Dove,
Yes, I do take antacids (including liquid ones) to relieve the symptom but it's still recurring.
Kris said…
huh! weird! if you've changed all your suspects, you should be okay... maybe there's one more thing you missed? Hope it goes away naturally soon!
Jaded Jeremy said…
Kris,
It has subsided a lot recently and as you said, hopefully it'll just go away naturally.

Clayden,
Yah, I would if it worsen again after I'm back on my essential supplements.
MrBunnyBan said…
Any idea why it's subsiding?
Jaded Jeremy said…
Ban,
Hmmm it could be a combination of lesser supplement and raisin bread.
Elyssa said…
I guess you got to be really patient in finding out what is the cause of it. Introduce those things you have been taking out of your diet one by one once you recover la. Gambatte ohh
Jaded Jeremy said…
Lyssa,
Yup, that's what I've been doing lor.
Anonymous said…
Tim said whenever his stomach gets acidic, it sometimes takes several days to get back to normal. More than likely it was something you ate not too long before the episode. He said not too easy to pinpoint sometimes. Tim had acid attack since Thanksgiving night. All day today, Sat., he ate very bland food, yet this evening the acid came back. He had noodle soup, slice of wheat bread and 1/2 apple for dinner. Since he did not sleep well Thurs and Fri nights, he hopes to get a good one tonight. (slr)
Jaded Jeremy said…
slr,
Hope he's much better now.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant