The folly of assuming

I'm sure all of us have been in this situation before: someone asked you a question and not only did you know the answer but also some further information relating to the response. You then made a split-second assumption about why the person asked such question (maybe because of your past experience when you had the same question as well). Hence, you tried to be helpful by giving a different response, rather than answering the question in an exact manner.

Sometimes this works marvelously for that person because he is experiencing exactly the same dilemma/conundrum/problem as you did. However, this may not always be the case (and it can be quite common) and hence in such case your response at best does nothing for him and at worst actually do more harm than good.

I know I'm guilty of this sometimes. What I try to do is to firstly give the exact answer to the question and then only offer whatever information I believed may be useful to the person, with whatever relevant assumptions I use whenever possible.

I urge all my friends and family to do likewise, especially when dealing with me hehe. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant