Ironclaw: Porcupine fire mage Part 2

(continue from this post)

Skill marks

Aside from dice provided by Career (d8 for Academics, Observation and Supernatural) and by Species (d6 for Climbing, Digging and Presence), there were 13 skill marks to allocate to any Skills I wanted. Initially, I spread the marks across a variety of Skills but later I followed Ban's advice to (once again) focus on as few Skills as possible that would enchance my character. Note that the maximum skill marks is 3 (a d8 die) per Skill.

A key skill that Ban strongly advised me to invest in was the Dodge skill. In dodging attacks, by default a character has only Speed die. So extra die from Dodge skill is very useful.

The rest of the skill marks were allocated to the Skills associated with Career and Species i.e. 3 marks each in
  • Academics
  • Presence
and 2 marks each in
  • Digging
  • Supernatural
On hindsight, I should have allocated marks to Observation rather than Supernatural because the former is more widely used than the latter and also complements the Keen Nose Gift (discussed later).

Gifts

Porcupine comes with the following Gifts:
  • Coward
  • Keen nose
  • Quills
I view Coward favourably as it can be used as a means to run away hehe but thankfully I didn't need to use it yet. Keen nose had been useful on a few occasions but only if my Observation skill check was successful, which was why I mentioned earlier that I wished I had allocated some skill marks to Observation. Quills could be useful if for some reasons my character had to perform brawling attack, especially since I could use quills on the arms or head and thus negate the need to put away the wand or shield.

Elementalist comes with the following Gifts:
  • Elementalist's Trappings: Red
  • Elemental Apprentice
  • Literacy
The first two Gifts are needed to access Fire Magic spells. The trappings also comes with a wand, among other things, which is very useful because it has no range penalty.

Literacy's usefulness is quite subtle. In any party, there should be at least one person with this Gift so that the party can read anything they come across. It is also a keystone Gift that opens up other Gifts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant