Yamada Japanese Restaurant @ Subang Jaya

Upon William's recommendation, Ban and I went to have dinner at Yamada recently. Consistent with William's observation, there was no need to make reservation. In any case, we arrived just minutes after they were open.

My first major issue with the restaurant was the waitress' insistence that I couldn't request a change of sashimi within a set. As usual, if it is confirmed there is either squid or octopus sashimi/sushi, I would request it be changed to any other sashimi/sushi (I wouldn't even mind egg sushi!). Fortunately, a senior waitress intervened and corrected the waitress by saying that there was no squid or octopus sashimi in the set meal I was interested in.

The set (RM67 + 10% service charge) I ordered included (sorry no photos!):

(1) Salad

Shredded fresh vegetables with thousand island sauce. I usually would request without sauce but I forgot this time. It was ok, although some leafy vegetables and cherry tomatoes would make it better.

(2) Shredded lightly sauced seaweed

To my surprise, it wasn't pickled. Not bad but no wow factor there.

(3) Chawanmushi

This is my other major issue: it tasted like normal Chinese steam egg, which on its own wasn't bad but fell way below expectation of Japanese steam egg. Even chawanmushi in, say, Sakae Sushi easily beat this one. Very disappointed

(4) Grilled gindara (cod fish) with teriyaki sauce

The saving grace of the dinner. I was about to ban the restaurant after eating the chawanmushi but changed my mind immediately after eating the grilled cod fish. The fish is smooth and soft, grilled lightly with light teriyaki sauce. It even pvershadowed the sashimi. Very highly recommended.

(5) Salmon, tuna and white tuna sashimi

The quality of sashimi was better than average. I am sensitive to the fishy smell and taste of tuna (due to 2 bad experience in Singapore) but this one was thick, juicy and had no fishy smell/taste. Likewise for the white tuna. The salmon sashimi was quite good but strangely it was smaller than the tuna. In fact, I believed it was one of the smallest salmon sashimi I ever had in a fine-dining Japanese restaurant. Mildly disappointing.

(6) Udon in soup

It was the first time I had flat udon. Tasted vaguely similar to the flat thick pan mee. Nevertheless, the noodle and the soup combination was good. It had much more fried garnishing than the usual udon soup.

(7) Rice

No comment.

(8) Fruits

No comment.

I couldn't resist but to order 1 piece of salmon sushi (RM4+ per piece), which I usually consider as a benchmark for comparison. I am so glad I ordered it because it is by far the best salmon sushi I had in Malaysia.

Before I left, I did give my compliment with regard to the cod fish and salmon sushi.

I am still a little unhappy about not able to request not having squid/octopus sashimi/sushi in a set (if it's present) but since the salmon sushi is very good and reasonably priced for a fine-dining restaurant, I can always order ala carte sushi. In any case, the set was a little too much for me and it was one of the smaller sets.

For certain, I will go back there again to at least have salmon sushi!

Comments

Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
Hehe not very lah.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant