Ironclaw: Porcupine fire mage Part 3

(continue from this post)

Gifts

Besides the Gifts that came with Career and Species, I also got to choose 3 additional Gifts at the start.

Ban highly recommended Resolve, which allowed my character to use Will die as additional soak die. Soak dice are like pseudo-hit points i.e. every die can potentially offset a point of damage. The default soak die is only the Body die. So if the damage is, say, 2, then for certain 1 damage will get through. Hence, the more soak dice, the better!

Next, I took Secrets of Fire Magic, which allows my character to have a free refresh action for Ignite Fire (staple spell), Move Fire and Pilum of Fire, as long as the fire mage is wearing the red robe. Also, it increased the Presence skill mark by 1 i.e. from d8 to d10.

Lastly, I took Increased Trait: Will which increased chance of success for landing Fire Magic spells and also increased the bonus soak die.

Equipment

The important equipment are:

Robe - essential in enabling the free refresh allowed by Secrets of Fire Magic

Leather armour - yet another bonus soak die i.e. a d6 but at the cost of being burdened simply because my character is wearing both a robe and a leather armour. This means that he cannot dash and his running distance is reduced too. So during battle, he normally has to stride or sprint.

Wooden shield - provides cover die of d8 when dodging.

Hooded lantern - not only is this needed to see better in the dark but it's also a source of fire for my character should he wants to use Move Fire.

Additional Gifts

So far, through the award for Gifts (some retrained) and experience points, I have selected the following Gifts/Skill marks:

Pilum of Fire - was awarded for the first goal. It's a significant upgrade of Ignite Fire but need the additional action of Aim.

Increased Trait: Species - increased Species die from d6 to d8, which meant that the associated Climbing, Digging (for Earth Magic spells) and Presence (for Fire Magic spells) dice were also increased to d8. This also enabled me to have the option of choosing Invulnerable Hide and Reserves of Vitality from the Atavisim section, where Species Trait of at least d8 is a prerequisite

d6 in Negotiation skill & Fast Talk gift - by then, I wanted my character to be more useful during non-combat situations. I chose Negotiation skill, complemented with the Fast Talk gift, because it also used the Will die, which is a d10 for the porcupine fire mage. Great combination I have to say.

Doctor - this was chosen so that my character could keep his end of the bargain to heal a prisoner. By now, I'm glad this happened because it is very useful in treating injured allies outside towns where one doesn't have access of service of a physician or get recuperative food, bath or lodging. In fact, even an Almoner (a.k.a. cleric) should get this because almost all Almoner's healing spells cannot be used on himself (stupid, isn't it?).

Veteran - this was the second awarded Gift that I didn't retrain. It increased the dice for Aim (an action needed to cast Pilum of Fire) and Guard action.

Sunburst - my first area effect spell that not only causes normal damage but also blinds the victims. Excellent status effect!

Mystic: Elementalism - I thought long and hard about getting this. It is basically an additional die for Academics, Gossip, Inquiry, Negotiation and Supernatural skills concerning Elementalism. I don't view it to be terribly useful. However, in the end I chose it because it is a prerequisite for Fire Clout and Fire Mnemonic.

Fire Clout - besides getting an additional skill mark in Presence (i.e. d10 to d12!), this Gift can be exhausted after casting any Fire spell to get additional 2d8 for the roll. Great, especially for casting resist spell like Sunburst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant