Rebuke

One night, after Ban's Ironclaw session, one of the players, Kevin, asked some of us whether we could join a "one-shot" Ironclaw game hosted by him for his friends, whom he said that had never played the game. Kevin also asked us to help him with the rules. Ban and I agreed as we were keen (and still are) to get as many people play this game as possible. We were expecting that some time would be needed for character generation.

Later, it turned out that although they had never played it, they had read the book and even sort of created their characters. They then focused on writing this on a proper character sheet, while Kevin, Ban and I stood ready to help anyone. In fact, Ban was quite active in doing that :)

Wayne: Now, let's see. For my Almoner/Thaumatuge, I get bonus d12 for parrying with my rod.
Me: Hmmm hey, are you using a rod instead of a wand?
Wayne: Yup.
Me: Are you aware that a rod has penalty range whereas a wand has unlimited range?
Wayne: Yup, but I'm trying out this way.
Me: Oh, ok.
Chi: We have our own way of playing. Don't tell us how to play (and went off rambling about something in incomplete sentence).
Me: (whhh..at?)

I didn't bother to respond. So should I? I didn't because
  • I didn't want to create a scene and make it awkward for everyone there
  • I wanted to keep my word to help Kevin
  • Chi wasn't someone who mattered to me
On hindsight, he could also had misheard my conversation with Wayne and thus reacted that way. *shrug*

To Ban's and my surprise, it turned out that the "one-shot" hosting would be over 2 or 3 sessions. We politely declined to join them again as usually on that day we have another game to attend but was free that day because our game master was overseas.

Privately, Ban and I agreed that Kevin's friends' style of playing is not suitable for us. The amount of chaos they caused during non-combat situation was more than we would like. It's a pity because tactically they were good during the combat encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant