Crusader Kings II: Deheubarth campaign - 2nd crusade, Narrow victory

This time I made sure I joined the Crusade. The gold and artifacts reward were too good to pass on. I quickly used the gold for upgrades in all my counties and to start building Grand University in my capital. Made me question my aim of going heretic later.

I contributed either the 2nd or 3rd most. My niece, my nominated beneficiary, was given a duchy within Jerusalem. She had a single son. Hope that line flourish!

Less than 2 years later, a jihad was called for that kingdom but it was called by a caliph whose realm was far away. Hmmm.

 

That powerful vassal duke surprised me by pressing his faction claim (for Seniority Succession) when his army size was about 78%. Previously this power level got up as high as 90+% and yet nothing happened. As I suspected later, he had lots of gold and hired a 4500 stack of mercenaries to help him. Eeeek.

I myself hired a stack for a few months, just so I could repel his first huge attack but thereafter I didn't have gold to sustain the mercenaries. So most of the time I had to depend on my natural levy replenisment while stationing in a defensive county. A few times I took the opportunity to siege his county capital when he was across the Irish Sea sieging my realm there.

His stack was at almost 3k larger than mine at the start. Slowly, through attrition (he was sieging a few counties), conservation (I prioritised replenishment and sieged only one county) and appointing commanders of good calibre (invited them to court), we clashed again at my capital. I won despite having slightly smaller stack. Phew! That gave me a huge boost in warscore.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant