Arthroscopy part 3

My biggest problem was, strangely, not my right knee. It was my right calf: cramping/pulling pain that didn't go away. Massage and ice pack provided only temporary relief. It was a dull pain that intensified if I pressed the calf or when I flexed/pointed my foot.

My concern was blood clot but fortunately it was missing two other symptoms: swelling and redness/change in skin colour. Upon a friend's advice (who is an anaesthetist), I called the orthopedic clinic. His nurse assured me that it was quite normal for the calf to feel the pulling pain after knee surgery. Fortunately, five days after surgery, the pain in the calf went away. Yay!

Another unexpected side effect was the swelling of my right ankle and foot. Apparently this is common after arthroscopic knee surgery. That's one thing I'm disappointed in hospitals in general: their staff rarely prepare patients for even the common effects post surgery/medicine. Haiz.

I arranged the physiotherapy session to be on the same day as the follow-up appointment with the orthopedic. The therapist added two more exercises while increase the set of the previous 6 exercise from 10 to 15 i.e. 10 counts x 15 sets. @@

During the consultation with the orthopedic,

  • in response to my question, he said that the calf is like a second heart i.e. pumping blood. So if it's not used regularly, it can result in pain and swelling.
  • in response to my question, he explained that the grade 4 patch on the knee cap is surrounded by slightly elevated smoothen cartilage and so there shouldn't be pain when the knee cap makes contact with the opposite side. Morever, that patch had been sutured to further reduce the pain.
  • he advised me either not to do the leg bending exercise taught by the therapist (i.e. bend leg until at the verge of being painful) or restrict it to 45 degree inflection.
  • he advised me to use the crutches than the walker because the next transition (in 2 weeks time) is to train the leg to start bearing weight with the assistance of crutches. Well, to me that should be the most important reason but his initial remark was "walker is for old people" 😅
  • he replaced the patches covering the wound and said that I could remove it in 4 days time and to use alcohol swab after each shower. He would remove the stitches at the next appointment.

Comments

William said…
Also won't talk about side-effects until you actually get them.
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
Ikr? Haiz.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant