Crusader Kings II: Bohemia campaign - Byzantine and the world?

I really wanted to press a vassal's claim on the Kingdom of Africa, within the Byzantine Empire, because that kingdom would bridge my disconnected realm. I landed two possible claimants after successfully won a holy war. I wanted this bridge before the campaign ended.

The problem was that I would, theoretically, trigger a war against the world since the 4 defensive pacts against me encompassed almost the whole world. The question, though, in practice, would they come to assist Byzantine? How about those who were in defensive pacts against Byzantine?

To me, after Byzantine, the ruler with the largest army in those defensive pacts, who would likely to bother to turn up, would be the Pope. So a golden opportunity arose when my vassal Polish king, aided by another vassal king, declared war on Pope (damn pope regularly getting hold of bishoprics within my realm) and they were winning. Empire of Bulgaria was at war with someone else and the neighbours bordering my eastern border were also in wars.

So I declared war on Byzantine.

It turned out that only a few answered the call for aid by Byzantine, not enough to make a difference to Byzantine's defense. The Pope was priotising his defense against my vassals, although I did help them a bit by beating up the Pope's 19k+ stack in one battle.

Surprisingly, the emperor gave up when the warscore was only 42% in my favour. I was naturally happy about that :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant