Couple of weeks

After a couple of weeks using crutches and walker, I have newfound respect of my dad and others with impaired mobility, needing to using walking aids. I doubt I truly understand the difficulties they face but I think I have better understanding now.

The changes I have to make are:

  • Time management, simply because it's slower for me to walk.
  • Chairs placed in bathroom, kitchen and the table we often used to eat at. All these so that I can be as independent as possible.
  • Improvisation such as
    • Placing body wash, shampoo and phone next to where I shower. ASUS Zenphone 8 is waterproof :) Place my towel on the walker, which is next to where I shower.
    • Place chair roughly in the middle of kitchen so that I can just steady myself by holding counter to stand up to reach out for nearly anything in the kitchen. Small kitchen, ya.
    • Have my breakfast, and later fruits in the afternoon and night, in the kitchen so that I don't need help to bring the food to the "dining" table.
  • Unfortunately, I stil need Ban to help me with a few things e.g. buy meals, take dishes to kitchen for me to wash, place chair in bathroom, wheel me in pushchair if we go out.
  • It's too tiring to pee standing up and so I have reverse my way in a little with walking aid, push down my pants and underwear, lift up the toilet bowl cover and then sit on it. After I'm done, wash my wash at the sink nearby and then reverse the order. For this reason, I don't go to toilet as often as before, despite drinking similar amount of water.
  • Can't do my usual exercise (push ups + crunches in the morning, swimming in the afternoon). Have to do physio exercises 3 times a day but I mix in some crunches too.
  • If I wake up in the middle of the night because I want to pee, I often struggle to get back to sleep. This is because I have to sit up and make sure I'm sufficiently awake to use the walking aid. Also, I spend more time in the toilet due to the change in method (read above). Hence, by the time I get back to bed, I'm fully awake.
  • I have to be mindful of which place we travel to i.e. does it have lift from carpark to the mall? Ramp for the pushchair? Travelator? For example, I cannot go to Kinpachi because it has only stairs @@

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant