Australia: Canberra first day

I'm guessing that most people would have wanted to rest after travelling from Singapore at 8pm and reaching Canberra the next morning at 9am with only half an hour of sleep. I didn't. Firstly, I wasn't exhausted. Secondly, I figured it's best to try to adjust to local time as soon as possible, which means sleeping only at night. I supposed taking nap in the afternoon is ok but definitely not in the morning.

However, we (my sis, her hubby and the twins) went back to my sis's place mainly to dump my stuff and also to let the twins have some healthy snacks. They are so adorable lah! Although they are well trained by my sis and her hubby (with no physical punishment involved), they of course still exhibit typical behaviour of toddlers around the age fo 2 e.g. saying "no" regularly and trying to exert independence by not holding hands at times (but after awhile, they'll want to hold hands again).

As I'm keen to get hold scout around and get hold of a prepay sim card (so that I can still communicate with Mr Skanky ;-) ), we went to Belconnen Mall. I've looked at 3 different providers (there were two more that I didn't enquire) and I've settled on Vodafone AUD20 plan for 2 months, with sim card expiring 6 months after last top up. Amazingly the sms charge rate is the same for local and international i.s. AUD0.25. However, this is way more expensive than similar prepay plan in Singapore. Same goes for other type of plan which is also found in Singapore. According to my sis's hubby, Australia has one of the most expensive mobile phone plans but the flipside is that the handsets are cheaper, apparently.

We had lunch at the mall's foodcourt, which is nothing fantastic. There appears to be more sandwich/wrap stalls compared to the last time I was here in 2005. The best food, by appearance anyway, seems to be the large sushi set by a Jap stall but I thought I should try out something more Australian, especially one that cannot be found in Singapore. Hence this:

Oporto

It's quite bland. I was told that usually people have it with their special chilli sauce, which I don't take. Oh well.

Later in the late afternoon, we went to a playground nearby to let the kids play:

Flowers on the way to playground

Flowers on the way to the playground

Nearby playground

At the playground itself

Apparently, besides the fact that it's good to let the kids play for their development, it is also a trick to get them exhausted so that they'll sleep on time and sleep well hehe. So we adults then get to do other stuff quicker and also to play Heroes 5! :-)

Comments

Yea, couldn't agree more with you. The burger is quite bland. Doesn't look any special, by the way.
savante said…
What a sad lil burger :P
Jaded Jeremy said…
Mannpriedo d'Saintner,
It's healtier though without the sauce hehe.

savante,
Oh well, I know better than to buy it again next time :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant