Great Friday

In Singapore, Good Friday is a public holiday. Since a few weeks ago, I had already planned to ask a few friends over for lunch and boardgames on that day. Not sure why but I was in one of those moods (and it's rare these days) to make sushi maki. So I suggested that I would make the makis while someone else brings cut fruits and another brings non-carbonated drinks. Apparently I was over-enthusiastic as most of my friends hedged their response by wanting to confirm closer to the date.

About a week ago, I asked again and in the end, Lloyd, Nick, James and Simon turned up yesterday. Lloy and Nick volunteered to get the fruits while James get the drinks.

We had guava, papaya, honeydew and watermelon. They came in those sealed plastic cups and were bought from a vending machine at a temple. Amazing! They were amazingly sweet too. Thanks for doing me a favour and not buy sour fruits, Lloyd and Nick :-)

As for drinks, while at the mall, James asked me for my preference. I requested for water chestnut and honeysuckle with white tea. He bought those plus green tea. Green tea's a good choice as most people don't mind drinking it.

As for me, I was rushing a bit to prepare the makis because I slept in and boy it was a good rest in bed :-) In addition, I noticed that some key furnitures were a bit dusty and the floor needed a bit sweeping. I did that before starting to make the makis. By then, it was less than an hour to the appointed time!

Fortunately, it was one of those rare moments where I was grateful the guests were a bit late. Not too late but just nice...for me to finish making the makis hehe. I used 3 pieces of seaweed purely for salmon, 3 pieces for egg and 1 piece of cucumber plus shred radish. As for rice, I normally would use rice vinegar mixed with a bit of sugar and salt to mix it with the rice but I chanced upon this instant packet that had all 3 of them in it and it was even cheaper than buying the cheapest bottle of rice vinegar which would be wasted anyway. However, I still prefer the conventional method.

Personally, I thought this batch of makis is one of the better ones I've made: dense and held up well. It helps that the salmon was purchased from one of our (Nick, Llyod and I) favourite Japanese restaurants. My friends enjoyed them very much and Nick was rather impressed by it :-) Hope they were being honest hehe.

After lunch, we played a round of Citadel (longer than expected with James and Simon in the mix) won by Llyod and a round of Super Munchkin won by Simon (which was also long but because Simon took too long to decide to whether he could sabotage and how) before we took a small break while Lloyd munched on a small packet of yummy instant mi goreng. We then played a round of Super Munchkin: Superheroes version won by Llyod and finished up with a few rounds of basic Uno, which is a nice relaxing winding down game. If I remember correctly, all of us won at least once in Uno except me lol.

Citadel & Uno

We then headed out to a place nearby I recommended for dinner to have rice with fried beancurd, luohan vegetables, prawn paste chicken and furong egg at surprisingly cheap price of $30.50 for 5 of us and that included charges for the wet towels. My friends thought the food was good, thank goodness :-)

By the time we parted, it was more than 7 hours we have spent together. Although I didn't win any game, I felt like a winner. Thanks for coming guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant