First cousin

Until recently, only one cousin knew I am gay, via her mother whom I had given prior permission to do so. Few days ago, I personally came out to a cousin over late breakfast.

Before that, I noticed something on Facebook that made my sister and I considered that cousin to be potentially gay-friendly. I was a little nervous. My strategy was to first talk about that particular Facebook content and casually mentioned that it seems another cousin (whom I suspect and almost sure that she's also gay-friendly) is gay friendly, besides my sister and I. I was wondering whether she was too. She affirmed that and  in fact she has a few good friends who are gay.

What surprised me was the near non-existent reaction she had when I came out. She was like "I'm ok with that" and went on picking up conversation from where we left off, which was mainly about her family and trips overseas. At first, I was a little apprehensive that maybe she was uncomfortable and so wanted to talk about something else (something that Ban later brought up) but then later she did happily talk about her gay friends.

On hindsight, as my sister mentioned, I should have asked her why she wasn't surprised. Perhaps she knew all along? Still, even then, I would have expected questions like whether I have a partner or not, living with him etc. Unless...she knew all of these beforehand???

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are so lucky. unlike me, i can't even come out to my very best friend. typical malays, what to do? when i expressed him i don't think i believe in god or that islam is just another religion, he started telling all my other friends and they planned to send me to rehab! i stopped talking to all of them for more than 3 years now. i'm still single, and lonely. it's driving me mad. i wish i was born straight, or even better, i wish i was chinese.
Jaded Jeremy said…
Anonymous,
I'm sorry about what happened to you. I hope things get better for you in future.
Anonymous said…
Being gay is not a choice. More and more people are becoming more receptive. "Anonymous," don't give up hope in finding your partner. sr

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant