Long wait

Three days after throwing my dad's ashes into the sea, I flew back to PJ but unfortunately not without some huge hassle.

It's hard to get Grab at my sis's place to go to airport (I nearly missed my flight previously) and so I usually order GrabTaxi in advance but cannot be done during this MCO (can't think why). Fortunately, they confirmed (I contacted them via FB messenger; there was no phone number to call them) that I shouldn't have problem getting one for my journey but just give it 15 mins grace to account for roadblocks.

I arrived at airport early, about 75 minutes before my 11.30am flight. Strangely, the counters had't opened. When it was close to 11am, I couldn't wait any longer and started enquiring, ending up at Firelfy's office.

To my horror, they told me that my flight was postponed (more like shifted) to 5.50pm, that was nearly 7 hours away!

Me: Why wasn't I notified?
Staff: We emailed and sent sms.
Me: I didn't receive the sms.
Staff: We sent it to xxxxxxxxxx
Me: That's my alternate number (it was Ban's). I didn't receive on mine.
Staff: Your number is Business number whereas this number is Personal number
Me: !

Later I confirmed that Ban did receive the sms but was busy at the time and then forgot about it. There was email from Firefly sent 9.30pm, which was a mere 6 hours after I purchased the ticket, which, by the way, was more expensive than the 5.50pm flight.

I also confirmed that those phone numbers were not listed as "Business" and "Personal" in my account. It was just "Mobile Phone" and "Alternate Phone". I had always thought that the purpose of providing the latter was so that in case I didn't receive their sms or call on my phone, the alternate contact was my backup but instead by doing this, I harmed myself! So I now have my phone number entered for both entries. Argh!

I contemplated going back to my sister's place to rest and wait out the hours but I didn't want to risk being turned back by (petty) police at the Penang bridge's roadblock. So I found seats near a power socket to charge up my phone, had lunch and tea time there:


My first and last Dunkin Donut. It wasn't bad: it was just overpriced.

I finished reading "The Weight of Our Sky" by Hanna Alkaf (interesting but too close to home and reality) and started reading "Remember Me" by Christopher Pike

Fortunately, the rest of the journey went well. Phew! I was exhausted and just wanted to relax once I got home....after I had dinner.

Comments

William said…
Which Dunkin Donut? At the departure gates or outside? The staff at the outside Dunkin Donuts were so poorly trained that I wanted to strangle them.
Anonymous said…
well they did email and sms you so wasn't their fault. Why would the secondary number be so useless if they think it's not important to inform you on something as important as flights...
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
Arrival hall, Penang Airport.

Anonymous,
They didn't send sms to my phone number, only to the alternate one. If they send only to the alternate number, what's the point of the main one?

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant